What is the Times Colonist Christmas Fund?
The Times Colonist Christmas Fund provides financial support for community organizations on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. Much of the money is used to buy food, but it can also be used to buy toys or for other needs. The fund was started by the Daily Colonist in 1956 as the 500 Fund, and was designed to help the 500 least-fortunate families in Victoria.
What is the 2022 fundraising target?
Our goal is to raise more than $1 million to provide food and other aid to communities on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
How can I donate to the Times Colonist Christmas Fund?
• Donate online. Go to timescolonist.com/donate, which will take you to our CanadaHelps page. The site is open 24 hours a day and provides an immediate tax receipt.
• Donate by mail. Send a cheque to the Times Colonist Christmas Fund, 201-655 Tyee Road, Victoria, B.C. V9A 6X5.
• Donate by phone. Use your credit card by phoning 250-995-4438 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Will I receive a charitable tax receipt for my donation to the Times Colonist Christmas Fund?
Yes, although the minimum needed for a receipt will depend on how you give. If you donate by phone or by mail, we will provide a tax receipt in February for donations of $10 or more. If you donate online, through the Canada Helps portal, receipts will be automatically generated for donations of $3 or more.
What is the charitable registration number for the charity?
The Times Colonist Christmas Fund charitable registration number is #802574970 RR0001.
Will my name appear in the newspaper or in any donor lists?
The Times Colonist Christmas Fund may acknowledge contributions in a donor list within the newspaper and on our website.
For every donation, we will publish names and, if desired, brief messages. Some typical choices:
• Your first and last name
• “In Memory Of,” with the first and last name of the person
• “In Honour Of,” with the first and last name of the person
Please let us know the wording you would prefer.
I don’t want my name published. How do I ensure my name is not published?
Please indicate that you prefer your donation to be anonymous.
When can I donate?
We accept donations throughout the year, and our fundraising campaign timeline is typically from October to December each year.