Suspect charged after Oak Bay homeowner slashed by intruder

A suspect has been charged in the Tuesday break-in that left an Oak Bay resident with a slash on his face.

Shaun Clifford Wickens, 37, has been charged with breaking-and-entering, assault with a weapon, assault causing bodily harm, uttering threats and carrying a concealed weapon. He has been remanded in custody.

article continues below

The break-in was on Foul Bay Road, near Runnymede Avenue. A homeowner saw a man enter his house and chased him out, then continued the chase into a neighbouring yard.

Once the homeowner caught up, the suspect produced a knife and cut him. Oak Bay police were called by a witness.

The injured man was sent to hospital for treatment.

A similar incident took place Aug. 20 in Oak Bay when a man returned to his St. Patrick Street home and found an intruder. The intruder attacked the man with a crowbar, leaving him with a gash on his arm.

A 19-year-old man was arrested soon after.

Police advised people against the confrontational approach in such instances, saying it is better to be an observer and prepare to be a good witness.

Oak Bay Mayor Nils Jensen echoed the police comments.

“I think it is important when homeonwers are confronted with this kind of thing that they consider their own safety first and foremost.”

Two residential crimes in a relatively short period of time, both involving injury to residents, is not what people want to hear about, Jensen said.

“It certainly is a growing concern that these kinds of break-and-enters are happening in our neighbourhoods.”

- - -

Earlier story:

An Oak Bay homeowner was slashed across the face after he chased a man who broke into his house on Tuesday afternoon.

The homeowner saw a man entering through a window and chased the man out of the house on Foul Bay Road, police said, before catching up to him in a neighbouring yard. A struggle ensued, and the suspect produced a knife.

A passerby saw the commotion and stopped to assist and called police, said Acting Sgt. Rick Anthony. “Police were on the scene and the suspect was in custody within two minutes,” Anthony said.

The man is expected to appear in court today.

The homeowner was taken to hospital for treatment.

It was the second time in six weeks that an Oak Bay resident was injured while trying to apprehend a suspect.

Police advise against such action, Anthony said.

“We encourage people to be vigilant and observant and to be a good witness, and leave the dangers of dealing with these suspects to the police.”

— Times Colonist

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Times Colonist

Report a Typo or Error


NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Times Colonist welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus

Find out what's happening in your community.

Most Popular