Pet owners on the Sidney waterfront are being advised to keep a watchful eye on their dogs after chunks of peanut butter laced with what appear to be poison were found near a popular marina.
Quinton Alexander, who owns the Blue Peter Marina on Harbour Road, said Sidney/North Saanich RCMP are investigating the recent discovery of about a half dozen cubes of peanut butter coated with a green substance believed to be poison.
It was located on a grassy spot near the marina parking area.
RCMP did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.
Alexander said the incident follows an earlier one where chicken bones were found placed over about 80 feet of dock at the marina.
He said the marina’s cameras were monitored for any suspicious activity and more footage is being sought from other nearby businesses.
Alexander said he’s hopeful that whoever has been placing chicken bones and poisoned peanut butter will be caught before an animal is harmed.
“We’re very concerned,” he said.
Photos of the poisoned peanut butter were posted on the North Saanich Community Facebook page and later re-posted by the Island chapter of FLED, or Find Lost and Escaped Dogs.
“Concern for locals and their dogs and local wildlife is why this is being made aware to you all,” said the Facebook post.