Pair escape blaze at Saanich home by jumping from window

Two people leapt from a bedroom window to escape the flames that engulfed a Saanich home early Tuesday.

A woman inside the Eric Road home awoke about 2:15 a.m. to find heavy smoke in the living room. She and the other occupant were able to escape and phone 911.

article continues below

Seventeen firefighters from Saanich Fire Department arrived on scene and quickly extinguished the blaze, which was contained to the living room, said Dan Wood, the department’s deputy chief of operations.

The fire is believed to be accidental, Wood said. A fire inspector and electrical inspector are looking at whether the fire started near a computer workstation in the living room.

The home suffered extensive smoke and water damage and is uninhabitable, Wood said.

Wood said the two occupants were house-sitting for the homeowners, who have insurance.

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Times Colonist

Find out what's happening in your community.

Most Popular