Outbreak declared at Nanaimo hospital after three people test positive for COVID-19

Island Health has declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital after two staff members and a patient tested positive.

The outbreak is contained to the east wing of the fourth floor, the health authority said in a news release.

article continues below

The first staff member tested positive for the virus on Jan. 19 after developing symptoms.

“Island Health immediately implemented precautions, including enhanced cleaning and contact tracing to protect the health of all patients, staff and medical staff,” the agency said.

Subsequent testing identified another staff member and one patient with the virus.

“Until further notice, no new admissions will be allowed to the fourth floor east wing, and staff working on the unit will not work on other unit,” Island Health said.

As well, patients on the fourth and fifth floors and rehab unit will not be transferred to long term care, assisted living or congregate settings. “This is out of an abundance of caution while the investigation is underway and contact tracing is completed,” the agency said.

So far, 63 patients and 58 staff members have been tested for COVID-19.

This is the second outbreak at the hospital. In November, five staff members tested positive.

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Times Colonist

Find out what's happening in your community.

Most Popular