Mother and daughter hit with $900 in fines after refusing to wear masks on ferry

Nanaimo Mounties served a mother and daughter more than $900 in fines this week for ­ignoring repeated requests to wear face masks on a ferry to Nanaimo from Horseshoe Bay.

When the women, ages 19 and 43, boarded the ferry, they were told to put on masks, which are required in public spaces under provincial health orders to reduce the spread of COVID-19, but they refused.

article continues below

Nanaimo RCMP Const. Gary O’Brien said throughout the B.C. Ferries sailing, the women were reportedly yelling and ­“generally being abusive to staff,” and refused several requests to don masks.

“It should be noted that the two had reusable non-medical masks in their possession at all times, but simply chose not to wear them,” O’Brien said.

Just after midnight on ­Sunday, Nanaimo RCMP were called to meet the Queen of ­Cowichan as it docked in ­Nanaimo, and officers arrested the pair for mischief and ­causing a ­disturbance.

The officers noted that the two women appeared drunk and were confrontational with the officers.

One of them reportedly screamed at an officer that she was going to kill him.

The other said that she would sue both officers for false arrest and ensure that they lost their pensions.

The officers arrested the women for being intoxicated in a public place.

They were escorted to the Nanaimo detachment and lodged in cells for the remainder of the evening.

Several hours later, the women were handed tickets for failing to wear a face covering ($230) and abusive or belligerent behaviour ($230).

The arresting officers elected not to pursue the criminal charges, O’Brien said.

Meanwhile, a B.C. Ferries employee who works out of Swartz Bay has tested ­positive for COVID-19 and is self-­isolating, as are direct contacts, the company says.

B.C. Ferries did not say where specifically the employee works within the organization or what routes the employee might have travelled.

Contact tracing through Island Health has been ­completed “and it has been determined that there were no contacts involving risk or ­re-transmission to the public,” the corporation said.

Employees who had direct contact with the ­person who tested positive have been ­contacted and are in ­self-isolation, B.C. Ferries said.

“They have been asked to get tested, however none are ­showing symptoms currently.”

Other employees have been instructed to monitor ­themselves for symptoms.

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Times Colonist

Find out what's happening in your community.

Most Popular