Man arrested after 3-hour standoff at supportive housing facility in Victoria

A three-hour standoff at a supportive housing facility on Douglas Street ended peacefully Friday with one man in custody.

Victoria police officers and tactical officers with the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team were called to the former Paul’s Motor Inn at Douglas and Discovery streets just before 8:20 a.m. after reports that a man discharged a firearm.

article continues below

When police arrived, they found the man in a ground-floor suite and saw evidence that a weapon might have been discharged. Neighbouring suites were evacuated.

During the standoff, glass could be heard breaking and the man at times came to his door to talk to police.

Police and crisis negotiators tried to get the man to surrender, but at 11:45 a.m., he made what police called an “unheralded exit” from the suite.

“The man refused to follow officers’ commands and ARWEN less-lethal munitions were successfully deployed to take the man into custody,” said Victoria police spokesman Bowen Osoko.

The man was arrested, and, as is standard practice when someone is hit with less-lethal munitions, he was assessed by B.C. Emergency Health Services paramedics.

He was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Osoko said police were investigating the type of firearm that might have been used in the incident.

Police have not announced any charges against the man.

The former hotel houses 41 people who previously lived in tents.

It was purchased by the province for $15 million to add to its portfolio of supportive-housing properties.

On July 14, Victoria police arrested a man at the facility after he allegedly pointed a replica assault rifle at someone. That person faces recommended charges of assault with a weapon and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Times Colonist

Find out what's happening in your community.

Most Popular