No one was injured and it is unconfirmed if any children were on site when fire broke out in a daycare at the St. Vincent de Paul Society on Thursday afternoon.
The West Saanich Road building, which has the daycare and residential units on the main floor and residential units above, was evacuated after a pot on a stove caused the fire about 4:10 p.m.
Four units sustained water damage.
The response included 17 firefighters and five vehicles. Traffic was tied up on area roads, including the Quadra Street off ramp, the Patricia Bay Highway and Glanford Avenue.
Fire crews cleared the area by about 5:50 p.m.