Terrie Finston wants to warn other dog owners after her pet found strips of meat with straight pins stuck in them during a Wednesday walk.
Kia, a shiba inu, discovered the nasty surprise about 4:30 p.m. in the grass by the sidewalk on Cordova Bay Road, just north of Sutcliffe Road.
Finston has reported the incident to Saanich police.
“I hate to think the worst of people but it does seem kind of deliberate,” she said. “I think it’s important that people are aware.”
Finston said Kia went straight for the package, which was loosely wrapped in a plastic shopping bag. “I pulled it out of her mouth,” she said. “It was actually quite a tug of war.”
She was shocked to see the pins.
“You hear about that kind of stuff at Halloween.”
Finston said some strangers saw what was happening and jumped in to help, including a woman who had been gardening in her yard and offered dog treats to try to get Kia to drop the meat.
She didn’t get any names, but said she was grateful that in these “challenging times” people were willing to step up.
Once she got hold of the meat, Finston threw it away immediately, then talked to police. “They were going try to make a sweep of the area.”
She has spread the word among her neighbours. The incident happened in an area well used by dog-walkers. “It’s between Mattick’s Farm and the Beach House.”
Finston said she is relieved she was close enough to see what was happening right away with Kia.