Skip to content
Join our Newsletter
Join our Newsletter

Mobile home destroyed in Nanaimo fire

A mobile home was destroyed in a stubborn fire in Nanaimo on Saturday evening.

A mobile home was destroyed in a stubborn fire in Nanaimo on Saturday evening.

One person outside of the home was taken to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital to be monitored for smoke inhalation, said Brad Wood, assistant chief with Nanaimo Fire Rescue. No one had been inside the home.

The fire in the 2300 block of Barclay Road, west of the Island Highway, was reported just after 5:30 p.m.

The large number of items inside the home made for a challenging fire.

“Had to call in a backhoe to kind of pull it apart to get at the deep-seated stuff and get it extinguished,” Wood said.

Firefighters were at the scene until after midnight.

The cause of the fire is not known at this time.

Fire loss prevention experts have been on the scene and will return Monday to investigate, Wood said.

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks