Skip to content
Join our Newsletter

Kitchen fire extinguished quickly in Saanich

The occupant of the suite in the three-storey, multi-unit complex was out for a bike ride at the time of the fire

A cooking-related kitchen fire in a suite on Glasgow Avenue was quickly extinguished Thursday morning.

The resident was out for a bike ride at the time, said Saanich Fire Department Platoon Capt. Jeevan Manhas.

Residents in the rest of the three-storey, multi-unit complex were evacuated.

Five vehicles and 18 firefighters were sent to the scene after the department was alerted at 9:10 a.m.

Crew members made a “fast attack” into the building and were able to confine the fire to a single, second-floor unit, Manhas said.

“The crews did a fantastic job,” he said. “Everybody’s safe and the fire got put really effectively.”

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks