Victoria police issue warning after children eat cannabis-infused gummies

Victoria police are warning users of cannabis products to keep them safely stored after five children under 10 were taken to hospital when they ate cannabis-infused gummies they thought were candy.

Officers were called to Victoria General Hospital after the children were brought in Friday. They discovered the children were at a barbecue when their parents noticed that they had begun to act strangely.

article continues below

The children said they had found the gummies when they were playing in a room.

When the parents discovered what the children had eaten, they called 911.

The children were put under observation at the hospital and released.

While the use of cannabis products is permitted under provincial and federal law, some packaging resembles non-cannabis products, police said.

They do not anticipate laying charges.

jbell@timescolonist.com

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Times Colonist

Find out what's happening in your community.

Most Popular