Smart meter not to blame for fire, Langford investigators say

The Langford fire department has determined that a fire outside a home on Sooke Lake Road on Wednesday was not caused by a smart meter.

Firefighters were called to a home at 2934 Sooke Lake Rd. about 11 a.m. Wednesday after flames spread up the side of the house and inside. The exterior wall was left blackened and the home’s smart meter was charred.

article continues below

Some area residents were concerned that the smart meter was to blame.

Many homeowners opposed B.C. Hydro’s installation of the meters, which transmit information to the utility.

Fire prevention officer Lance Caven said an initial investigation suggests the fire was not electrical.

“[The smart meter] wasn’t the direct cause of the fire,” he said.

Caven said combustible objects near the house could have contributed to the blaze, which is not considered suspicious.

The house suffered considerable damage to one bedroom and smoke damage throughout.

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Times Colonist

Find out what's happening in your community.

Most Popular