Neighbour tries to douse mobile-home fire in Songhees Nation; winds up in hospital

A daring attempt by a neighbour to douse a mobile-home fire with a garden hose landed him in hospital late Monday afternoon.

“I think he went into the building with the garden hose, and he’s the one we found unconscious on the driveway,” said View Royal Fire Chief Paul Hurst.

article continues below

Hurst said the man kept the fire from destroying the trailer “but he paid a bit of a price for it.”

“While we applaud his actions, you’ve got to be careful with things. Fires take off quick.”

He suffered non-life-threatening injuries. The other injured person did not need to go to the hospital.

Hurst said the blaze broke out about 5:45 p.m. on Middle Road in the Songhees Nation.

He said the cause was unattended cooking, which gutted the kitchen and caused $30,000 to $40,000 in damage.

The View Royal and Colwood fire departments responded to the call.

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Times Colonist

Find out what's happening in your community.

Most Popular