Nanaimo body identified as missing man

Marlon Orozco-Castillo was a loving father and outdoor enthusiast, and that’s how he will be remembered, said his sister, Karen Orozco.

The Nanaimo man was reported missing in early May. At the time, his family said he was dealing with some personal issues and had moved out of his home.

article continues below

Police initially thought he might have returned to Costa Rica, where he is from, but then said he might be at local surfing areas. He was last seen on May 1 wearing a plaid jacket and red tank top.

On Friday, RCMP said skeletal remains found July 4 in a vacant lot had been identified by the coroner as Orozco-Castillo. City workers came across the body while clearing brush from a wooded lot in the 2200 block of Bowen Road.

Const. Gary O’Brien said Friday that the coroner’s office continues to investigate Orozco-Castillo’s death and that there is no evidence of foul play at this time.

“There is no doubt that my family and the world lost a living treasure. Personally, I would describe him as my hero, my example to follow in life,” Orozco said from Costa Rica.

Orozco-Castillo, 40, moved to Canada six years ago to be with his wife. His sister said he has four children, two in Costa Rica and two in Nanaimo. He was a maintenance worker who enjoyed outdoor fitness, namely surfing.

“Marlon was a working man, honest, charismatic and with a happy spirit [as] immense as the oceans he loved, and always you could see a big smile with every sunset,” Orozco said. “He will be missed but never forgotten.”

She could not comment on the circumstances of her brother’s death.

There will be memorial services in both countries.

spetrescu@timescolonist.com

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Times Colonist

Find out what's happening in your community.

Most Popular