Lawn watering restrictions are now in effect in Nanaimo.
This means that lawns can only be watered every second day for up to two hours between 7 and 10 a.m. or 7 and 10 p.m.
If you live in a home with an odd-numbered address, you can water on odd-numbered days.
If you live in a home with an even-numbered address, you can water on even-numbered days.
Vegetable gardens and trees can be watered on any day.
Watering restrictions are imposed to ensure that enough water is available for fire fighting and personal use such as drinking, cooking and cleaning, the city of Nanaimo said in a release.
The city also offers fire safety tips for the hot weather:
• Clean debris off your roof and gutters.
• Remove dead or dry brush around a home.
• Trim overhanging branches.
• Move any combustibles, such as firewood, 10 to 30 metres away from your home.
• If using an all-terrain vehicle, take a small fire suppression kit with you. Hot mufflers and exhaust residue can ignite grasses and other dry debris.