SALT LAKE CITY — Two Utah children have been released from the hospital after ingesting THC-infused candy that was in donated bags of food, police said Monday.
Dozens of families picked up the bags filled with several items Friday at a Baptist church in Roy, about 30 miles (48 kilometres) north of Salt Lake City, KUTV reported.
The candy containing the main psychoactive component in marijuana was packaged like Nerds ropes, distinguishable only by the word "medicated" above the candy logo, authorities said. The children who were hospitalized after eating it are expected to make a full recovery.
Utah Food Bank staffers were horrified to learn what happened, and said they were adding new screenings to make sure nothing like it will happen again, said President and CEO Ginette Bott.
John Thomas, the head minister at First Baptist Church of Roy, said the situation appeared to be a "simple oversight" rather than a prank. The church had previously suspended the handing out of donated food due to the coronavirus.
Police are investigating.