Fire sprinklers cause $100,000 in damage at apartment building

A small kitchen fire in an apartment in Victoria resulted in $100,000 in damage after the sprinkler system flooded four floors on Wednesday night.

The fire, believed to have been caused by oil in a pan on a stove, broke out at 10:45 p.m. in a suite at Quadra Street and Caledonia Avenue.

article continues below

The fire was extinguished by a single sprinkler near the stove. However, four floors directly below were flooded, causing an estimated $100,000 in damage, said acting Battalion Chief Lance Mitchell of Victoria Fire.

The resident of the suite received second-degree burns to one of his hands while trying to extinguish the blaze. He was taken to hospital by B.C. Ambulance.

Several displaced residents will be given assistance with housing through the Victoria Emergency Management Agency, the fire department said.

The department’s fire inspector reminds people cooking with oil not to leave the pot or pan unattended and to have a lid nearby in case of fire.

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Times Colonist

Find out what's happening in your community.

Most Popular