Teen died of complications from stroke, not vaping, autopsy report finds

Delta boy was readmitted to hospital seven hours after being discharged

DELTA — A Delta teen thought to have died after falling while vaping nicotine died of complications from stroke, according to an autopsy report.

On Jan. 21, 2018, Kyle Losse’s family heard a loud noise from the bathroom and found him on the floor. He was responsive, but weak and unable to stand on his own. He was taken to hospital and released the following day, then readmitted seven hours later. The 14-year-old died the next day, on Jan. 23.

article continues below

The autopsy report was shared with the Delta Optimist by Kyle’s parents, Niki and Brian, who said they were surprised by the findings.

“A stroke didn’t even cross my mind,” Niki Losse said. “It makes me question the care that we received.”

According to the autopsy report, there are strong suggestions that the stroke was due to fibromuscular dysplasia, a disease of the blood vessels.

An e-vape device was found near Kyle after he fell. There has been speculation that Kyle’s brain injury was due to a reaction from nicotine, but the autopsy showed that no nicotine was present in his system.

“He was not vaping and had not been vaping at all because nothing was present in his system,” Losse said. “He probably had it with him because he was hiding it from us. In my mind, I feel like they [Delta Hospital] made an assumption. They assumed it was nicotine and a nicotine overdose, but they never tested for that.

“I just feel like running that test to ensure that was the cause would have come back negative and they could have started testing for something else.”

Losse said the family has asked the coroner’s office if further testing might have prevented Kyle’s death, but were told the extent of the brain damage means they can’t tell.

“We will really never know if the outcome could have been different, but I feel they could have done more,” Losse said.

“Checking us out of the hospital and he was having a stroke … that just blows my mind.”

She said the coroner has indicated that the review has not concluded and that officials continue to be in contact with the family.

That family has not spoken with Fraser Health, but they have consulted a lawyer to determine what legal options they might have, Losse said.

Fraser Health spokesperson Tasleem Juma said the health authority knows this is a challenging time for the family and their hearts go out to them.

“We are awaiting further information from the coroner’s service. Our understanding is the investigation is ongoing and any questions about it should be directed to them,” Juma said.

“We have been in touch with the family and should they have any additional questions now or following the coroner’s investigation, we would be happy to speak with them.”

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Times Colonist

Find out what's happening in your community.

Most Popular