Site C injunction decision could come Friday, lawyer says

A provincial judge could render his decision on granting or denying an injunction on Site C construction work as early as this Friday, according to a lawyer representing the two First Nations calling for the order.

"(The judge) said he'd likely give reasons on Friday but that is not confirmed," said John Gailus, a lawyer representing West Moberly and Prophet River First Nations.

The two First Nations were in court last week challenging provincial permits that have allowed contractors to begin work on the first phases of the project.

They say they were not properly consulted over these permits.

Both nations also have a pair of cases against the dam in both the B.C. and Canadian Supreme Courts. Verdicts have yet to be rendered in those cases.

B.C. Hydro has said that they were properly consulted, and have said a year’s delay on the project would cost ratepayers $335 million.

Hydro has already pegged the cost of the dam at $8.8 billion, which includes contingencies.

Calls to Hydro asking for comment were not returned as of press time.

article continues below

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Times Colonist

Report a Typo or Error



Find out what's happening in your community.

Most Popular