RICHMOND — A woman who gained notoriety for her extensive record of distracted-driving convictions across the Lower Mainland has been prohibited from operating a motor vehicle in B.C.
Richmond RCMP tweeted an update on Tuesday, sharing the news that the driver had been taken off the road this week.
Richmond RCMP encountered the driver in early March, when she was pulled over for nearly colliding with a police cruiser. The officer who checked the driver’s record was shocked to find she had 12 previous convictions for distracted driving.
The same driver was pulled over the following week by Vancouver police — again for distracted driving.
“As a result of our interaction with the driver, a subsequent interaction with another police agency and our concern for public safety, we forwarded a detailed report to Road Safety B.C. [previously known as the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles],” said Cpl. Dennis Hwang of the Richmond RCMP.
“The driver in question is now prohibited from driving in B.C.”
Distracted driving is an inherent safety risk to everyone who uses the roadways, Hwang said. “Our message to everyone is to #LeaveYourPhoneAlone.
“One simple phone call, text message, or checking social media can mean a momentary lapse of attention — that loss of attention can have serious or lifelong repercussions.”