Skip to content
Join our Newsletter
Join our Newsletter

Two arrested in fatal Nanaimo stabbing released without charges

A 19-year-old man and a 17-year-old youth had been arrested after the stabbing death of a 29-year-old man in Maffeo Sutton Park on Monday night, but were released without charges
web1_09062022-nanaimo-stabbing
Police tape cordons off a section of Nanaimo's Maffeo Sutton Park on Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2022, following a fatal stabbing on Monday night. CHEK NEWS

Two people arrested after the stabbing death of a 29-year-old man in Nanaimo’s Maffeo Sutton Park Monday night have been released without charges.

“This investigation is in the early stages and much needs to be done before police are in a positive position to forward charges to Crown counsel,” said Nanaimo RCMP Const. Gary O’Brien. “Investigators are aggressively pursuing this file and doing everything that is necessary to gather evidence and establish who is responsible for this homicide.”

A 19-year-old man and a 17-year-old youth were arrested after the 11:30 p.m. incident. A third person was identified and located.

Police said they do not believe there was any connection between the victim and his attackers. A friend of the victim was pepper-sprayed.

A witness told CHEK News she heard a commotion in the area, including screaming and yelling.

Nanaimo Mayor Leonard Krog called the stabbing “horrific,” saying it’s part of an “unprecedented” string of violence in the city.

Anyone who was at the park Monday from 10:30 p.m. to midnight and saw what happened is asked to call police at 250-754-2345.

jbell@timescolonist.com

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks