Skip to content
Join our Newsletter
Join our Newsletter

Saanich police search for two men in area around bank that was robbed

Police say there is no information to suggest the men are associated with an armed robbery and shootout at the Bank of Montreal branch on Shelbourne and Pear streets.
Police remained in the area Thursday in the aftermath of the shootout at a Bank of Montreal branch Tuesday on Shelbourne at Pear Street. TIMES COLONIST

UPDATE: Police have identified the two males from the incident and determined that it was non-criminal in nature.  No weapons were involved and there was no risk to the public. 

- - - 

Saanich police and the RCMP emergency response team are searching by ground and air in the area of Mt. Tolmie to McKenzie Avenue in Saanich for two men described by witnesses as wearing army-type outfits and possibly carrying a long gun.

The first man is described as in his 30s with a white beard in full camouflage and carrying a dark backpack and beige case slung over his shoulder.

The second man is described as being in his 20s with a navy black camouflage top, dark hair and dark skin. 

Police ask anyone who sees the men to call Saanich police at 250-475-4321

Police say there is no information to suggest the men are associated with an armed robbery and shootout at a nearby Bank of Montreal branch on Shelbourne and Pear streets Tuesday.

The incident left two heavily armed suspects dead and six Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team members injured. Three officers remain in hospital.

Police said they received “vague” information Tuesday about a third suspect in the area and searched with police dogs and a helicopter. A shelter-in-place order for nearby residents was lifted at 6 p.m. when officers found no further evidence of another suspect.

Saanich police took one person into custody Thursday in the same area.

Around 5:30 p.m., police said that they were in the area of Richmond Road at Pear Street to investigate a report of a suspicious person. They said one person was taken into custody but officers continued to search the area.

On Twitter, Saanich police said the male from earlier was unrelated.