Skip to content
Join our Newsletter
Join our Newsletter

James Bay apartment fire sends one to hospital

A fire at a James Bay apartment building on Friday injured two people, sending one to hospital with what are believed to be minor burns and smoke inhalation. The Victoria Fire Department was called about 12:25 p.m.
Victoria Fire Department - photo

A fire at a James Bay apartment building on Friday injured two people, sending one to hospital with what are believed to be minor burns and smoke inhalation.

The Victoria Fire Department was called about 12:25 p.m. after the fire broke out on Battery Street, which runs between Douglas and Government streets.

The report said flames were shooting out of a three-storey apartment building at 639 Battery St., said Fire Chief Paul Bruce.

He said crews arrived to see a large amount of black smoke and flames coming from the window of a second-floor apartment.

“Within seconds, that spread from the second floor and was spreading up to the third floor and breached the window on the third floor, as well.”

The fire appears to have started in the second-floor suite, Bruce said.

No cause had been determined by late Friday afternoon.