An early morning mattress fire sent a Courtenay mother and her three children charging out of their home.
The four — a mother and her two sons and one daughter — extinguished the burning mattress located in an upstairs bedroom and got out of the house safely, according to the Courtenay fire department.
The family was taken by B.C. Ambulance to St. Joseph’s Hospital as a precaution and examined for smoke inhalation.
The fire on Rennie Road, just north of Courtenay, was initially called in at 5 a.m. as a structure fire that started in a bedroom.
The cause of the fire and the estimated damage has yet to be determined.