A quick response by firefighters prevented a blaze from spreading early Tuesday after a boat caught fire on a trailer less than a metre from a Central Saanich home.
The Central Saanich Fire Department was alerted at 3:16 a.m. to the fire on Pastel Crescent, just off Wallace Drive.
“On arrival, crews found a 16-foot recreational vessel fully involved, on a trailer, less than one metre from the structure,” said Fire Chief Chris Vrabel. “It was a multi-unit residence and tenants on the lower floor, their principal entrance was within that metre.”
The tenants exited alongside the boat while the fire was burning, he said.
Vrabel said Central Saanich sent 18 firefighters, who were assisted by the Sidney and North Saanich departments. Spraying water directly on the home was a key part of attacking the blaze, Vrabel said.
“Timely response allowed us to prevent the spread of fire.”
Still, there was smoke and heat damage to the building estimated at $5,000 to $10,000.
Vrabel said the tenants on the lower floor are temporarily displaced and staying with family.
“It could have been much worse,” Vrabel said. “We’re still investigating the case.”
He said there was a battery charger hooked up to the boat but it hadn’t been used in a while.