Visitors to Thetis Lake Regional Park are advised to avoid swimming and to keep their pets out of the water due to a blue-green algae bloom at Lower Thetis Lake.
Blue-green algae are known producers of cyanotoxins. Ingesting water can cause a range of symptoms, including headaches and abdominal pain in humans. It can also lead to lethal liver damage in dogs.
The algae usually produce a visible blue-green sheen, which appears as surface scum on the water. But toxins can still be present in the water even if you cannot see a bloom.
Visitors are advised to keep animals on a leash to prevent them from drinking or swimming in the lake until the advisory has been lifted.
For more information, go to crd.bc.ca/alerts.