Four stories in the news for Monday, July 22
VIGIL ON FIRST ANNIVERSARY OF DANFORTH SHOOTING
Members of Toronto's Greektown community will gather tonight to remember the victims of a mass shooting last summer. The vigil — set to begin at sunset — marks the first anniversary of the tragedy, which left two people dead and 13 others injured. It happened on a busy stretch of Danforth Avenue when a lone gunman went on a shooting rampage before killing himself. Eighteen-year-old Reese Fallon and 10-year-old Julianna Kozis were killed by the gunfire. Their names will be read aloud at a parkette where Fallon was with a group of friends celebrating a birthday when the shots rang out. Church bells will also ring and the community will hold a moment of silence.
TWO MEN GO MISSING IN NORTHERN B.C. NEAR WHERE A BODY IS FOUND
RCMP in northern B.C. are searching for two young Vancouver Island men whose vehicle was discovered on fire Friday in the same area where police say a body was found. Officers investigating a vehicle fire about 50 kilometres south of Dease Lake, B.C., received information that led them to find a body at a highway pullout two kilometres from the scene of the fire. Dease Lake is about 470 kilometres southwest of where 23-year-old an Australian man and his American girlfriend were found murdered earlier in the week. Police say investigators "are sharing information" about the two cases as they try to determine whether they might be linked.
FOUR YEARS ON, THE FUTURE OF 24 SUSSEX STILL UNCERTAIN
Nearly four years after Justin Trudeau opted not to move into the prime minister's official residence over concerns about its crumbling state, the building remains vacant — except for staff who use the kitchen to prepare meals for the Trudeau family. And David Flemming, with Heritage Ottawa, says no one expects the National Capital Commission to decide the fate of 24 Sussex until after the October federal election. The organization wrote to the prime minister in March calling for the creation of a non-partisan committee to decide what to do with the residence, but says it hasn't heard back. The NCC has classified 24 Sussex as being in a "critical" state of disrepair.
QUEBEC DUBBING INDUSTRY WORKS TO STAY AFLOAT
Few people will recognize his face, but Tristan Harvey has starred in some of Hollywood's biggest blockbusters, including the "Wolf of Wall Street," "Avengers: Infinity War" and "The 40-Year-Old Virgin." As a voice actor, the 42-year-old Montrealer makes a living dubbing famous film performances into French, often taking the part of actors such Leonardo DiCaprio, Seth Rogen or Benedict Cumberbatch. Quebec's dubbing industry brings in about $30 million per year and provides some 600 to 700 full and part-time jobs. But a declining number of feature releases, the rise of streaming platforms and competition from cheaper studios overseas, has the province struggling to maintain its market share.
ALSO IN THE NEWS:
— Statistics Canada to release wholesale trade data for May.
— Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson in Dieppe, N.B. to talk about work being done to protect North Atlantic right whales.
— Minister Mary Ng in Calgary to announce federal investments to help small businesses export and to support women entrepreneurs.
— Veterans Affairs Minister Lawrence MacAulay makes an announcement in Montreal about the well-being of Canadian veterans and their families.
— Calgary city council to discuss possible deal for a new event centre that would include an arena for the NHL Flames.
— Annual meeting in Saskatoon of the Pacific Northwest Economic Regions.