North continues to keep COVID-19 at bay

Northern B.C. continued its 22-day streak without a new case of COVID-19 on Friday.

A joint statement issued by provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix on Friday reported 13 new cases in the province.

"Today, we are announcing 13 new cases, for a total of 2,947 cases in British Columbia. Six cases previously reported have removed from the total, as they were identified as residents of another province and will be reported in their home province," the statement said. "There are 162 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 2,608 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the total COVID-19 cases, 19 individuals are hospitalized, two of whom are in intensive care."

The total number of cases in the Northern Health region since the start of the pandemic has stayed steady at 65 since June 8.

There were no new deaths linked to COVID-19 in B.C. reported on Friday, leaving the province's death toll from the pandemic at 177.

The province is continuing to monitor three COVID-19 outbreaks in long-term care and assisted-living facilities, and one outbreak in an acute-care facility.

"We encourage British Columbians to show compassion and care to those around us. This is our opportunity to demonstrate how we can all stay safe this summer," the statement said. "Following our rules for safe social interactions by keeping a safe physical distance from others, wearing a mask when maintaining distance is a challenge, keeping on top of hand hygiene and always staying home if you are sick will help protect all of us."

Popular Real Estate

Popular Citizen