Re: “‘They would have changed the world,’” Feb. 19.
Several years ago, I was one of three firefighters wearing air packs running across the lawn past a family of four (in pajamas) to get to the front door.
As we reached the door the smoke alarm gave out a last blast and succumbed to the heat. The silence was deafening. I remember turning around to look at the four people standing there and thinking to myself how a $10 smoke detector had probably saved their lives.
The house suffered major smoke and water damage, but the family moved back in a few months later. They sent a card thanking us for our help. There were a few of those on the board.
Sadly, it doesn’t always turn out this way. Three young people who would have made a real difference in this world died in a house fire in Victoria early one morning. My sincere condolences to their families and friends. I read in the paper there was no smoke detector. I also thought of all the people who unplug “that darned thing” or take out the battery because it always goes off when dinner is getting cooked.
My advice is to move it closer to the bedrooms or even put it in the bedroom. And plan an escape route for you and your kids. This is a matter of life or death. You can always rebuild a house, not so for families.
Make sure you and your friends have smoke detectors. Maintain them — they’re no good if they aren’t in working order.
© Copyright 2013