[UPDATED] A Duncan RCMP officer has been charged with dangerous driving causing bodily harm in connection with a summer collision that left one woman with long-term injuries.
The Crown prosecutor this week laid the charge against Blake John Cross, who Mounties say is no longer on active duty.
The charge is a result of a lengthy independent investigation by Saanich police, who were called in immediately and submitted their report to the Crown in November.
A 23-year-old woman is still suffering from injuries from in the crash, said Steve Eassie, spokesman for Saanich police.
“I don’t know the extent of the injury ... but the female is still recovering from it,” he said.
Information released by police after the June 3 accident also indicated that the officer was heading to a domestic dispute that evening when his cruiser collided with a Hyundai at the intersection of the Trans-Canada Highway and Miller Road.
The 23-year-old driver of the Hyundai was in the northbound lane and making a left turn onto Miller Road.
Reports from the time indicate doctors feared she may have a concussion and kept her in hospital for at least two days.
RCMP on Tuesday confirmed Cross had been an officer for two-and-a-half years at the time of the crash. Spokesman Cpl. Darren Lagan did not know if the officer had been suspended.
“All I know is that he’s not on active duty,” he said.
Saanich’s investigation included reports from crash analysts and interviews with 19 witnesses near the intersection.
Saanich police were called in because the RCMP in 2010 adopted a policy requiring an independent agency to investigate when a civilian is injured in an accident with one of their members.
© Copyright 2013