NANAIMO — Increased security measures will remain in place at three Nanaimo schools and the school district’s administration centre Thursday.
Security guards were placed outside Dover Bay and Nanaimo District secondary schools, Cilaire Elementary School and at the administration office on Tuesday due to a possible threat.
Nanaimo RCMP spokesman Gary O’Brien said Wednesday that a district employee made threats against other staff in December.
There have been no threats made against the schools or the administration centre. The security measures are being undertaken under threat-assessment procedures recently established with the RCMP.
During the police investigation of the December threats, the employee threatened RCMP officers. Because of that, he was arrested and spent 30 days in jail, O’Brien said.
The man, who police say had previously shown erratic behaviour, was released Feb. 5. The RCMP “thought it was prudent” to alert the school district.
“He’s back in the community under the condition that he stay away from district property and the people who work there,” O’Brien said. “We had contact with the man [Wednesday] and he’s aware of the conditions of his release and is expected to comply fully. If he breaches any of these conditions, he’ll be arrested immediately.”
Donna Reimer, spokeswoman for the Nanaimo-Ladysmith school district, said officials will assess Friday whether to continue with the added security.
“We decided that it was better to learn later that it was not necessary to have increased security at these sites than not to have done this and find out later that we should have,” she said.
© Copyright 2013